The Abandoned Roads of England Airpark in Alexandria, Louisiana


 Photos and Story by Ken Hulsey

As many of you already know, I have begun to take my physical health seriously. Earlier this year, a routine trip to the doctor served as a wake-up call when my test results showed that my health was in dire shape. Lifestyle changes had to be made, or I was going to end up in a very bad way. I started watching what I ate, began exercising, and started taking a handful of medications every morning. It seems that when you start getting older, a sedentary lifestyle isn't good for you. 

Who knew?

My new exercise regimen includes taking a morning walk, and I have found two really good places here in Alexandria to do just that. One of those places is the nature trails at the Fort Buhlow Recreation Area. You can find me there, enjoying the beauty of the central Louisiana woods, every Monday morning. Tuesday through Friday, I like to walk around the Old England Airpark. The location is near the Alexandria International Airport, and I start my walk at the vintage aircraft display at the England Air Force Base Heritage Park. At first, I was content to do laps around the fighter plane displays, and I was happy doing just that until I decided to be a little more adventurous this week.

Exercising here in central Louisiana can be quite challenging, especially in the summertime when the heat and humidity can reach intolerable levels. You really have to just accept that you are going to be hot; I mean, really, really, really hot. Hot and very sweaty. Your first instinct will be to head back to the car and crank the AC, but you have to move past that. It really becomes an exercise in mind over matter. Any good athlete will tell you that working out, or even playing any sport, for that matter, is more mental than physical. And in this case, you really have to psych yourself out and concentrate on other things besides the heat, or you won't be able to do any outdoor exercise. I started by fixating on the airplanes and thinking back to my youth, when I actually built scale models of each of the planes on display. I also take advantage of the time to pray, meditate, and spend time with God. It seems simple, and it is, plus it works. Even though this is a great practice, I still pay attention to my physical state. It is important to do this to prevent yourself from getting too dehydrated and prevent any physical injury. I honestly don't pay attention to the distance I'm walking, but instead pay attention to my fatigue level. Generally, when my body gets fully saturated with my own liquids, I head for the car. 

In my adventurous spirit, I decided to head out of the park in what I believe was a southeasterly direction; I can never get my bearings around here, towards an open grassy area with many trees, following the path of an old sidewalk. It's easy to see that the area was once populated by structures that had been removed a long time ago. There aren't even any foundations remaining, but all the telltale signs still remain. Power boxes, roads, parking lots, and the maze of sidewalks that I was traversing. What was once a very populated and busy area is now rather beautiful, tranquil, and for the most part, devoid of people. From time to time, I have encountered an occasional jogger or cyclist, but mostly this area is greatly underutilized. The upside of this, of course, is the fact that this location provides me with a peaceful place to experience some solitude. 

Walking around England Airpark, one can only marvel at how, since the Air Force moved out, the area has remained undeveloped for the most part. There is so much potential here. There is obviously so much space here for both commercial and industrial use. There is also potential for housing, apartments, and hotels. It's not to say that the area is devoid of these things; they do exist in the area, but only in very small numbers. This is the only area that I know of where a large area adjacent to an airport isn't populated with hotels, shopping, and places to eat. I understand that zoning may be one of the issues inside the boundaries of the old base, but this also extends past its borders to the area extending for several miles in either direction. You can drive out of England Airpark and not find anything for miles. So much potential for development is being ignored.

I digress; regardless of the underused potential of the area, it still remains a lovely, tranquil place for people to experience. There is so much open park space for families to enjoy. Historical displays for people to learn from and connect with the area's rich past. There is a great golf course and a baseball field for recreation. England Airpark is a great little oasis just waiting to be discovered by out-of-towners and locals alike. 

Check out these images from my adventures at England Airpark earlier this week:




















Check Out: Nature's Palette: The Breathtaking Colors of a Red River Sunset in Alexandria

Unlock the Hidden Trails of Fort Buhlow: Discover Louisiana's Best-Kept Secret!

From Murals to Munchies: Exploring the Trendy Transformation of Alexandria's Downtown | Ken Hulsey Photographer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief Stopover At The Southern California Railway Museum

Grand Trunk Western Locomotives on the Canadian National Railway in Baton Rouge

Our Walmart Life - Beware The Aisles of the Living Dead

Vincent Hill Station's Wonderful Caboose Collection - Acton, California

Blazing Saddles | Mel Brooks' Iconic 1974 Comedy Western | Retro Cinema Classics