Rediscovering the Heart of Los Angeles: A Call to Reimagine a City Worth Saving

Written by Ken Hulsey

Yesterday, while driving home from work, Randy Newman's 1983 hit "I Love L.A." came up on my Spotify playlist. As I listened to the lyrics, I was hit by an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. It's amazing how music can transport us back to the time when we first heard a song. These moments become part of our collective memory and carry a sentimental significance that evokes cherished feelings and memories.

"I Love L.A." particularly resonates with me because I am a native Angeleno from the wonderful city of Whittier. I have spent the majority of my life in and around Los Angeles. As Newman recites one L.A. landmark after another, I can easily envision myself joining him on his lyrical tour of the city. This powerful experience can feel like time traveling, and at times, it stirs up a deep homesickness that is hard to manage.


Listening to "I Love L.A." prompts me to reflect on some deeper, yet uncomfortable, truths about the city I cherish. Unfortunately, the song serves as a reminder of what Los Angeles once was, rather than what it has become. In 1983, when Randy Newman wrote this tribute, the city was a cultural epicenter. Virtually everything of significance in popular culture originated there. Most of the television shows, whether sitcoms or dramas, were set in and around Los Angeles. The fashion trends of the 1970s and 1980s also started in LA, influencing the clothing people wore across the country. Additionally, much of the notable music from that era was produced by LA artists or played on LA radio.

Hollywood dominated the film industry, and movies often showcased themes and locations reflective of Los Angeles culture. The city even shaped the way people spoke, with slang from its streets making its way into everyday conversations from Boise to Bangor. Truly, LA was cool in a way that no other place has matched before or since. It was a modern-day Babylon, envied by the world.

Unfortunately, everything I just mentioned is in the past tense. If I were to hop into that convertible with Randy today and take the same tour of the City of Angels, we would have a completely different experience. The city so beautifully depicted in "I Love L.A." is now nothing like it once was. The entertainment industry has largely relocated from Los Angeles, with more movies and television shows being filmed in Albuquerque and Vancouver than in Hollywood. Clothing and music trends are no longer shaped by what the trendsetters in L.A. are wearing or listening to. Los Angeles has lost its status as the cool place to be.

So what happened?

The answer to that question is deep and complicated. I’m reminded of when I moved back to Whittier in 1992. Los Angeles was still considered the cool place to be, even though it was starting to trend in another direction. However, I wasn't fully aware of what was happening since I had just returned from living in New Mexico for 13 years, and my hometown felt like a paradise compared to Albuquerque.

I became good friends with one of the pastors at my church, and together we ran the youth ministry. One day, he invited me to lunch and shared that he and his wife had made the difficult decision to leave California. When I asked him why, he explained that life in California wasn’t what it used to be. They didn’t like the direction things were heading, so they decided to start anew elsewhere.

Being back in California after all those years, I was oblivious to the issues that they had noticed. I didn’t see the problems that were starting to creep in; I was simply happy to enjoy the good weather and spend days at the beach. My friends were at the forefront of a trend that would unfold over the next several decades: Californians began to realize that the things they loved about the area were changing for the worse. Politics, crime, and culture were shifting negatively, leading many to leave. We Californians refer to this as "voting with your feet." Sadly, my wife and I would ultimately come to the same conclusion as my pastor friend many years earlier and decide to relocate out of state.

To put it plainly, the Angelinos that Randy saw while taking his tour around Los Angeles in 1983 now live in Texas in 2026. 

The sad reality is that California has become unlivable due to rampant crime, homelessness, pollution, extreme politics, and skyrocketing costs of living. Honestly, I never wanted to live anywhere else. I hoped to spend the rest of my life there, but because of what has transpired, I simply couldn't do it, and deep down, I am very angry about that.

In retrospect, I often wonder what might have happened if all Californians had chosen to stay and fight for our state instead of relocating. Could we have made a difference if we voted for change rather than voting with our feet? Could we have saved Los Angeles? Of course, there’s no way to know for sure, but I carry a sense of shame for not staying and attempting to be part of the solution.

At least things in Texas are reminiscent of the glory days of California... you’re welcome.

As I wrap up this piece, I want to highlight the image I chose to accompany this article. It features two young women enjoying a day in Los Angeles in the 1980s. I almost overlooked this image, but it truly makes a statement. The caption reads, "The Real 1980s L.A.," and combined with the image of the two women, it evokes a poignant message. As I look at it, one thought strikes me: the two women are happy, clearly enjoying their day at what seems to be Olvera Street. Today, happiness appears to be missing from Los Angeles. The true essence of L.A. back in the day was joy, fun, and enjoying life in what was once the greatest place on Earth. Whatever happened to that?

The underlying question remains: can Los Angeles be saved? Can it ever return to its former glory? As an optimist, I would like to believe so. If its residents begin voting for leaders who genuinely want to improve the city instead of those who promote failing political theories, such as encouraging homelessness, drug overdoses, and policies that enable crime, then perhaps there is still hope.

Honestly, I didn't set out to write specifically about politics. My goal was to highlight that Los Angeles is a city worth saving. I want readers to absorb this message, remember what Los Angeles once was, and take a deep, honest look at what it has become. I encourage you to analyze how it has transformed into the city we see today and consider how it could be reshaped to resemble its former self.

Perhaps we can have reasons to love Los Angeles once more. Deep in my heart, I always will. 

Comments