Discover the Hidden Gem of Olla: Why Burger Barn is Worth the Detour!


Story and Photos by Ken Hulsey

Whenever I travel through the more rural parts of our country, I enjoy experiencing the local flavor by avoiding chain restaurants and dining at small mom-and-pop eateries. This past weekend, Terri and I were on the road from Alexandria to West Monroe, so we decided to stop at one of our favorite roadside spots, the Burger Barn in Olla, Louisiana.

Eating Across America: A Foodie's Guide to Food Trucks, Street Food and the Best Dish in Each State (Foodie gift) Hardcover - $14.99 @ Amazon.com - Order Here

We always make it a point to stop at the Burger Barn whenever we head north because, over the years, we have never had a bad meal there. It seems we subconsciously plan our trips to pass through Olla around lunchtime.

This time, I decided to try something different and ordered the Buffalo Chicken Wrap. I have had a lot of burgers lately and wanted something a bit lighter on my waistline. Meanwhile, Terri stuck with her trusted cheeseburger and onion rings. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals, which was no surprise—after all, we have never had a bad experience at the Burger Barn. 

Related: The Greatest Hamburger In America - Blake's Lotaburger Review | Discover New Mexico

What really stood out to me this time were the French fries. I honestly can’t remember the last time I had fries that delicious. They were battered, fried, and seasoned to perfection

If you ever travel through Olla, a stop at the Burger Barn is a must. The place is always filled with locals chatting about the high school football game or other local gossip. I often enjoy sitting quietly and listening to the conversations around me. It’s not that I want to eavesdrop on anything personal, but I appreciate being reminded of the charm of small-town life here in America.

Map:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up, Up, and Away: Dive into the Enchanting World of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!

Uncovering the Untold Stories: Key Moments in October That Shaped the American Southwest

Why Jefferson Stands Out as East Texas' Most Charming Small Town!

Rediscovering Smith's Landing: The Story of Louisiana's First Train Station and Its Legacy

California Through My Lens - Sunset Over Route 66 - Cajon Pass

Dames, Detectives, and Superheroes: How 'Spider-Noir' Redefines Classic Noir for a New Generation!

Rediscovering Lecompte: Vintage Photos and Memories from Central Louisiana’s Past!

Savoring the Southwest: Monroe's Legendary Dishes That Keep You Coming Back for More!

Jose Tequila's in Marshall, Texas - The Best Darn Mexican Food I've Had in a Long Time!