Wednesday, March 30, 2022

In This Time Of Need The Church Should Not Abandon Its Mission


 This morning I felt called to share two sermons that I listened to this week that really had a strong impact on my thinking about my walk with Christ.

The first is by pastor Steve Smotherman of Legacy Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In this clip Smotherman explains have it is the duty of the Church in this time of a global pandemic to remain firm in its mission to remain open and serve the people who really need it (which is everyone).


The second was actually preached by our son-in-law, pastor Steven Roberts of Journey Church in Pineville, Louisiana. He explains how the disciples missed out on experiencing a miracle by leaving Christ's side to search for food, choosing to serve their own needs over their mission to serve the Lord.
 

The true underlying message of both these sermons actually played out in real time just prior to our second service. I bumped into a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in a few weeks. When I greeted him and asked how he was doing, he replied that he wasn't doing well at all. He explained that his dear wife had recently passed and that he was doing his best to try and cope with the loss. I took the opportunity to talk with him and pray over him. I assured him that things were going to be okay, that God understood his pain and that He would heal his suffering.

This is how the message of both sermons came together in one instant. I wondered what would have happened if the church was closed last Sunday and my friend wouldn't have had a place to come to in his moment of need? I also wonder what would have happened if I had chosen to be selfish and walk past him when he obviously needed to hear God's message and to be prayed over?

It is of the utmost importance in this time of global chaos that churches stand firm in their mission and assume their essential function of serving people who need it. Likewise it is important as Christians to not act like the disciples and walk right past someone who needed their message to pursue their own selfish pursuits. 

Check Out:

The Cost of Grace


 

No comments:

Post a Comment