Sunday, March 27, 2022

We Could Walk On Water If We Only Had The Courage To Step Out Of The Boat

Written By Ken Hulsey

Imagine that you are sailing on the ocean of a lake. When you look toward the shore a figure appears. After staring for a few moments you deduce that it's a man. As you continue to watch you realize, much to your surprise, that the man is actually walking toward you on the water.

The man gets closer and closer. That's when you realize that the man is Jesus. As He gets to within fifty yards or so He stops. He motions for you to step out of the boat and come to Him on the water,

That's when I would have a big problem.

I have to confess that I have two fears, heights and water. When I was a toddler my brother and sister-in-law took me to the beach. I was so excited to see the ocean that I took off running into the water. Before my family could catch me the incoming tide knocked me down and I went under. I honestly don't know if I was ever in any danger of drowning or not, but the experience terrified me. Of course, as could imagine, my family scooped me out of the water safe and sound.

Needles to say, that experience has stayed with me and I have never learned to swim.

I think you can understand the dilemma I would be faced with. Even with Jesus right in front of me I would have a hard time stepping out of that boat. I know in my heart that Jesus wouldn't let any harm come to me. Yet, that old lingering fear would hold me back.

It's ridiculous when you really think hard about it.

As I sit here right now, I'm imagining the situation and I can feel the anxiety. It's a telling sign of just much my faith needs to grow. Even with Jesus standing in front of me, I would be scared to walk out on that water.

It makes me wonder just how many miracles I have missed out on due to a lack of faith. 

The water is a perfect example of the hurdles that life throws at all of us from time to time. Everyone has some form of fear or phobia that holds them back from experiencing a full and happy life. If we could only learn to have true faith in God there is nothing that would cause us to be fearful of anything.

I would like to believe that if I actually saw Jesus face to face that I would be so overcome by emotion that I would be able to step out of the boat and walk, maybe run, to the Savior. I believe that could happen. 

As Jesus said in Mathew 17:20 - "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Don't let your fears hold you back. Step out of the boat and experience the miracle.

Check Out:

If you want to begin a great adventure - you need to take that first step


Learning to Wait God's Way


No comments:

Post a Comment